translated by Bal Gopal Shrestha and Ramhari Timalsina
in collaboration with
Created: 2017-04-23; Last modified: 2018-10-15
For the metadata of the document, click here
A slightly different transcription of the text can be found in Sharma and Shrestha (2016: 445). The first half of the inscription, in Sanskrit, contains a verse invoking the goddess Ugratārā (another name of Vajrayoginī) and a standard encomium of the reigning king, Rājendra Vikrama Śāha. The second half of the inscription, in the Newari language, memorializes the donation of a gilded copper lion atop a pillar at the Vajrayoginī temple in Sankhu.
The donors—Torādhara Lāota Tej Nārāma, his wife Viṣṇumati and their whole family resident of Madu Ṭola, Kāṣthamaṇḍapa, Nepālamaṇḍala—commissioned the lion and offered it to the deity on the 12th of the dark half of Āśvin 966 NS (1846 CE).