Rajan Khatiwoda, Rajendra Shakya and Ravi Shakya
in collaboration with
Created: 2020-10-13; Last modified: 2021-09-06
For the metadata of the document, click here
[1r]1श्रीगणेशायनम: ॥✿॥ ॐनमो
On the full moon day of the bright fortnight of Phālguna in NS 1024 (1904 CE), a stone temple for Śākyamuni Buddha was constructed and donated by Dhaṃcā Thakuṃ (text: Dhacā Thaku), the widow of one Govinda of the Śākya clan, and her grandson Harṣa Ratna and his wife Harṣa Thakuṃ (text: Thaku) along with the rest of the family from Naka Bahī in Thyākā. The donation was made for the sake of all beings in this world and the world of the ancestors.
It appears that the inscription was engraved by an amateur, as its letters are unevenly placed throughout the text and the date is erroneously given as "10024" instead of "1024". Unlike most other inscriptions, the topmost part is left blank and does not bear any emblem or image of the deity to which its content relates.
The name of the main donor, the widow of one Govinda, is Dhaṃcā Thakuṃ. However, the inscription from a caitya in the same courtyard, dated NS 983 (1863 CE), refers to her as Vidyā Lakṣmī. They appear to be the same person, Vidyā Lakṣmī being her formal name, and Dhaṃcā Thakuṃ the name used in family contexts. Thakuṃ is a term used for a female member of a respectable family, and thakuṃju an honorific used for a queen or a female member of the royal family.