Rajan Khatiwoda and Rajendra Shakya
in collaboration with
Simon Cubelic and Ravi Shakya
Created: 2020-05-20; Last modified: 2021-09-06
For the metadata of the document, click here
[1r][Engraving of Candra and Sūrya] [Engraving of a caitya adorned with a garland on a double lotus throne] [Engraving of Candra and Sūrya] [Ornamentally engraved line]1⟅ ॐनमोरत्नंत्रयाय।।धर्म्मेश्वर:सकलपापविनाशहे
On Friday, [between the conclusion of] the 4th and [the beginning of] the 5th of the bright fortnight of Vaiśākha in NS 820 (1700 CE), an image of Lokeśvara was installed at the phalcā in Su Bāhāḥ. Dhanajyoti and his wife Rukamanī, residents of Su Bāhāḥ, donated 8 ropanīs of land 1 and established a guṭhī to fund the annual rituals. With the revenue from the land, 2 pāthīs of puffed rice (syāḥbaji), 2 pāthīs of thvã (?) and other items2 are to be distributed at the phalcā as charity (dāna) on meṣasaṃkrānti, the first day of Vaiśākha. A coat of whitewash from 2 pāthīs of lime is to be applied and certain persons are to be fed food items of their choice3 . The guṭhī members ..., Jyotiju (text: Jotiju), Maṇidevaju, Devarājaju4 , ... of Ko Bāhāḥ, and the kutuju5 of Oku Bāhāḥ (text: Vaṃku Bāhara) are instructed to perform an illegible task. An illegible amount is allocated for renovating the phalcā. It is stated that whoever does these things will receive a thousandfold merit.
As many letters have faded, it is difficult to read the inscription completely. What we know from it for certain is that Dhanajyoti and his wife Rukamanī, residents from Su Bāhāḥ, sponsored the installation of an image of Lokeśvara at a phalcā in Su Bāhāḥ and donated land to support the annual rituals for the image. The actual location of the phalcā at which the image was installed is not clear, as the inscription is no longer at its original location. The phalcā probably is the one to the east of the monastery.